Friday, February 3, 2012

What's in a number anyway?

A couple of weeks ago my birthday rolled around once again and I turned 29. All I heard in the days leading up to, the day of and for a few days after were phrases like this one 'Last year of your 20's! Before you know it, you'll be 30!' (apparently people think I can't count). I don't care much about getting older (although I did have a mini freak out when I turned 25, but for the sake of this post, we'll pretend that never happened). So when 29 rolled around this year, I thought 'eh, another year, whatever.'

You know the saying 'Age is just a number'?

Let's talk about that saying...

People often say it and right after say: 'I may be 60 but I feel 21!!!' <--- yeah right, this is complete and total bull shit. You may 'act' like you're 21 but I'm pretty sure at 60 you don't 'feel' like your 21 anymore. I do agree with the statement 'age is just a number'...... to an extent. Let's just do a little comparison of what a typical Friday night (like tonight) was like for me in my early 20's compared to now...


Early 20's
Done work by 5 (likely sooner)
Head home, grab a beer from the fridge and hang out for a bit
7-8ish - Take a shower/get ready
9-10ish - head to the bar
2am - Hit up Jack in the Box
3am - Video games!
5-6am - Bed

At 29 (more specifically tonight)
5-7 - Dinner at my Aunt's house
7:45 - Wrestling match ensues to get pajamas on
7:50 - Wrestling match comes to an abrupt halt as she vomits all over my bed, me,and herself
7:52-8:15 - Bath and clean up of bedding (There is nothing worse than mash potato vomit *gag*)
8:15-8:45 - Cuddles
8:45-9 - Begin working
9 - 9:30 - More puke, more clean up
9:30 - Commence working
*check on baby every 10 5 minutes*

.... and that brings me to now, about 11:15. I'll most likely be going to bed after I write this. Although I may stay up and work more.

So is age really 'just a number'? I suppose it kind of is, because I could be 18, 20, or 22 and doing what I did tonight. My life sure is drastically different today than it was when I was 22. I suppose that comes from a lifestyle change we mothers make. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.. I chose to become a mother and I do love it... even when I am cleaning potato and carrot chunks from my blanket. *gag*

By the way, if anyone has tips on how to clean a TV remote control after it has been puked on, I'm dying to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment